Monday, August 10, 2009

2005 Heymann-Löwenstein, Riesling "Uhlen-Rotlay"

The worlds best this and that….something that I rarely defines and find interesting.

But!!!!

This has to be one of the finest Rieslings there is on Planet Earth and it’s really interesting that I have that feeling towards this wine, as my palate turns into the graceful and elegant side of wine. To understand this wine fully and what I am rambling about, you HAVE to decant it with a minimum of 7-8 hours (A year ago I gave it 12 hours). Before the colony of “No-no-decanting-so-long” comes rushing to whip me, I know there is a risk involved by such a provocation of air. “Rothlay” (it related to the soil, which is slate with a dark red color) is a spicy wine and it’s texture leans to the oily side (FAS: 2 I think). Decanting will take away the spicy tone a few notches down. But what I find interesting is that it brings out the ability to look beyond this sometimes overwhelming opulent spicy nose and see the linearity that this wine holds. It also takes the oiliness away, which for me it to be avoided if to see magic. The spices (white pepper, warm slate, salt and herbs) will always be there on the tongue and more importantly this nicely warmth of the back palate. But what I like most (and I have mentioned this before) is the incredible energy this wine has. It reminds me a lot of “Apôtre” from David Léclapart and in recent time, this life and energy headline has become an obsession to me. What a beauty, I enjoyed every drop with overwhelming pleasure.

Glass: Zalto Universal

No comments: