Saturday, November 1, 2008

2001 Querciabella, "Camartina", Tuscany, Italy


(Glass; Riedel Sommeliers Bordeaux Grand Cru)

For the second day in a row I went down the Tuscan IGT-road – this time the highly praised Camartina from Querciabella. Camartina is a 70% Cabernet Sauvignon, 30% Sangiovese wine and since 2000 Querciabella is certified biodynamic wine producer. Why do I give you this information – well, there is something extraordinary pure and refined about this wine. Its starts off with a shy and sealed nose of Tuscan herbal overload – for me this is simply stunning even it’s not so fruit rewarding. But with air, the wine opens up and transforms. Some of this transformation is on paper not my cup of the, as the aromas kicks off in the direction of black cherries and plum. The plum aroma is under normal circumstances a total turn off to me, as it reminds me of alcohol infected wines and it simply kills the purity. However here – it’s alright, as the wine is really refined and you especially fell it when you taste - dead elegant and very pleasurable. I can’t help to compare this wine with Paleo from Le Macchiole, not that they are alike, far from it – but I can’t help to ask myself, why this boring blend?...what if Camartina where perhaps a 100% Cabernet Franc wine?….I think it would suit the style of this winemaker, the elegance and fresh Tuscan expression is there…just a thought – great wine BTW.

1/11-2008

No comments: